Sunday, May 22, 2011

Top 10 Original Twilight Zone Episodes (spoiler free!)




The Twilight Zone ran from 1959 - 1964. Created by Rod Serling, one of the most ingenious minds of the 20th century, each episode had either a twist ending or a realization about ourselves and our world. Many of the episodes were scary, but a few were sad or merely thought-provoking. As much as I enjoy the series, I confess that I have not seen all 156 episodes. But from what I have seen, I am able to pick out 10 of the best, eeriest, and all-around jolting Twilight Zone episodes, here for your pleasure.
And of course, it's spoiler-free.

First, a list of Honorable Mentions:
"Judgement Night", "The Invaders", "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?", "The Midnight Sun", and "The After Hours".

10) It's a Good Life

The brat of all brats, Anthony Fremont is a kid with almost ultimate power. He imposes a reign of terror on the neighbors and his parents, forcing them to do whatever he pleases. While not exactly scary, the episode makes us reflect on the fragile human state and how complete power corrupts.

9) To Serve Man

One that makes almost everyone's list, "To Serve Man" is about a race of aliens that visit Earth under friendly pretenses. They help to end war and eradicate hunger, and quickly become heroes to the humans. Their guidebook is even called "To Serve Man". Really! How much nicer could they possibly be?! While the twist is a little too easy to guess, the whole episode has a very creepy vibe to it, and is an excellent warning to not be too trusting until one has all the facts!!

8) Kick the Can

No, it's not scary. Not at all. In fact, it's kind of sweet and sad. Old people try to regain their youth by playing "Kick the Can" (an old game I have no clue how to play). Watching this episode will make you feel both nostalgic and even slightly depressed.

7) The Masks

An old man is dying, and he invites his closest relatives to witness the event. They are all nasty, greedy vultures who are just waiting for their chance at his money. But there's a catch. If they want to inherit anything, they must wear these hideous masks until the stroke of midnight.

6) Five Characters in Search of an Exit

Ok, let me get this straight. A clown, a ballerina, a cop, a hobo, and a bagpiper are all trapped in a windowless room with no idea how they got there. No, it's not a bad joke; it's simply one of the most twisted Twilight Zone episodes ever made. What has happened to these people? Are they in heaven? Hell? A nuclear shelter? An insane asylum? Are they insane? Figments of some twisted imagination? My mind went through all of these possibilities as I watched this episode, yet the twist ending completely surprised me (yet afterwards, I was all "Of course! How did I not guess?!")

5) Living Doll

I will sum up this episode in 4 chilling words: Talking Doll Kills People. Seriously. That's all you need to know. Now go watch it and prepare to be horrified (and possibly burning your daughter's doll collection afterwards).

4) Night Call

An elderly woman begins getting strange phone calls during the night. Telling any more will give too much away, as there are not one, but two major twists in this terrifying episode.

3) The Eye of the Beholder

A disfigured woman is recovering from another surgery, trying to fix her face. She is told that if she is not better-looking this time, she will be exiled. Her face wrapped in bandages for more than the first half of the episode, the twist is easy to see coming. But it is still jolting nonetheless. The entire message of "The Eye of the Beholder" is about society's standards of beauty and the lengths people will go to achieve it.

2) Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

For everyone who hates flying (including me), this episode is a chiller. Captain Kirk...I mean, William Shatner....I mean *ahem* "Bob Wilson" is a man afraid of flying who gets a window seat next to the wing. He keeps seeing a gremlin outside trying to tear apart the plane, but nobody believes him. On my last flight, I was "lucky" enough to get the same "wing seat" that Wilson was in, and I couldn't help but play this episode over in my mind, especially when we hit turbulence.

1) The Thirty-Fathom Grave

Yes, my #1 Twilight Zone episode is not one that makes most Top 10 lists, but to me, it personifies the entire essence of the whole series. This was the first episode I ever watched, when I was 9 or 10, and it scared me to death! While investigating a sunken submarine, Chief Bell realizes that it is the same one that he served on 20 years ago. He escaped, while his fellow crewman died. He then begins to see visions of them beckoning to him to join them. There is also a mysterious clanging noise...

No comments:

Post a Comment